Southlake, a small Texas city located about 30 minutes north from the Dallas/Fort Worth region. There are many excellent medical facilities in Southlake, including a speech therapy clinic. Southlake Speech therapy works with individuals to overcome speech problems. Speech therapy includes:
Treating Voice Defects
Many things can lead to voice disorders, including smoking, vocal abuse and overuse. Southlake speech therapists are available to help you if you suspect you have a voice problem or that your speech has been affected by it. The following are common problems that can be associated with voice disorders:
- Weak Voice
- Breathy Voice
- Clearing your throat
- Voice Cracking
- Whispering Voice
- Vowel Deviations (such Monotone)
Treating Speech Impediments
Speech impairments are problems that can cause speech difficulties. These include dysarthria, dysarthria and language disorders. These problems can affect the way you are perceived by others and make it difficult for you to communicate clearly. These are some of the most common impediments:
- Stuttering or Stammering
- Cluttering and slurred speech
- Problems with Articulation
These articulation issues can lead to difficulties in making certain sounds. You might have difficulty saying “s” for “th”, or “sh” when you want to make the sound. Speech therapists can help with articulation problems by strengthening your oral muscles and using drills and exercises.
These disorders can make communication difficult, especially with colleagues, and can cause difficulty understanding and using language. These are known as common language disorders.
- Expressive language disorder (a condition where an individual has difficulty expressing themselves)
- Receptive language disorder (when an individual has difficulty understanding language)
- Nonverbal Learning Disorder is a condition where an individual’s facial expressions or gestures can cause them to appear bored or uninterested in a conversation.
Treating Cognitive-Communication Disorders
Cognitive communication disorders can be caused by a brain impairment that prevents the brain from sending or receiving information. This can lead to problems in language, memory and comprehension as well as attention. These types of speech disorders can be treated by a Southlake speech therapist. Speech therapy can help with cognitive communication disorders.
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Aphasia is a brain injury that impairs the ability of language production and comprehension.
Treatment of Dysphagia & Swallowing Disorders
Dysphagia refers to difficulty swallowing. It can lead to choking, coughing and gagging. Swallowing disorders are caused primarily by problems in the muscles that help swallow. Speech therapists can treat these conditions through a variety of exercises. Speech therapy can help with dysphagia or swallowing disorders.
- Cleft Palate
- Laryngectomy (the surgical removal of the larynx).
- Neurological Disorders
- Esophageal Reflux
- Laryngeal Cancer
- Hiatal Hernia is a condition in which part of the stomach moves upwards into the chest via a hole in diaphragm.
Treatment of Speech Sound Disorders
Speech sound disorders can be caused by the way an individual uses or makes speech sounds. Also known as articulation disorders, speech sound disorders include:
- Developmental Articulation Disorder is a condition in which a child has trouble pronouncing sounds.
- Phonological Disorder is a problem in the sequence of sounds in words.
- Cluster Reduction (where children have difficulty saying multiple sounds in the same word)
Multiple speech disorders can impact how others see you. Speech therapy in Mexico might be an option for you or your child if they suffer from one of these conditions.